Author: Joanna Swanson, Head of Direct Sales, First National Bank of Omaha
Happy Summer! From pool parties to camp activities and vacations—summertime is exciting, but also expensive. Make sure you make the most out of your savings this summer by checking out our financial tips:
- Cut your transportation costs – Instead of driving down the block to the store, or to visit a friend, try riding a bike or walking. Gas is a huge money guzzler, so you’ll notice a huge benefit from taking advantage of alternative transportation methods. Plus, a little fresh air never hurt anyone!
- Go through your items – A garage sale is the perfect summer activity to get rid of the items you may have missed during spring cleaning, and a great way to make a little extra cash. It’s a great way to socialize with your neighbors, and a fun way to connect with your community.
- Check out free events – Look online to find out fun community events. Summer is the perfect time to catch a free outdoor concert or a movie.
- Set a budget – Make sure you plan out your monthly expenses including food, spending money, and transportation costs. This helps you manage your spending as well as helps you determine how much money you can put into your “fun account.”
- Invest in your NEST 529 College Savings Plan – When it comes to your college savings plan, no amount is ever too small. Be sure to set aside a certain amount each month and factor this into your summer budget.
No matter what your summer plans entail, we hope it’s filled with lots of fun and sun. Have any unique summer saving tips? We’d love to hear from you. Drop us a line on our Facebook page.